Statement from Ginew:
The pinnacle of our inspiration for the collection this year, the Thunderbird Coat encompasses the emotions of an eleven-day road trip in our 1971 F250...from our ancestral homelands of the Great Lakes to the Pacific Northwest. Through the boreal forests along Lake Superior, across the plains and badlands of Dakota & Cheyenne lands, to the high desert and ultimately the temperate rainforest of the Pacific...each morning, day, and night an act of intention and, in many ways a prayer. Crisp sunrises, afternoon thunderstorms, still sunsets, and brilliantly starry nights were our muse as we bore witness to the change of seasons. Woven into each fabric of this coat is the intention, observation, and emotion of this experience.
Coat features the Ginew® “WE WALK TOGETHER” wool blanket fabric lining - exclusively woven for Ginew by PENDLETON®. It is customary in our communities to wrap a newly joined couple in a blanket to symbolize their union. The WE WALK TOGETHER blanket colors represent the sacred day (sunrise to sunset) and wampum belt (purples), teachings which impart values to guide us in our life together. The lodges are in the shape of traditional Ojibwe and Oneida dwellings. The crest fuses timeless symbols from each of our tribes, the dwelling (Ojibwe) and Skydome (Oneida). Together, the colors and symbols represent how we value our traditional beliefs in our home as we walk this journey of life together.
- WE WALK TOGETHER wool blanket lining woven exclusively for Ginew® by PENDLETON® (Portland, OR)
- 32 oz wool blanket fabric lining (82% wool & 18% cotton)
- 13.75 oz White Oak® selvedge denim (Greensboro, NC)
- Hunted deer-skin rough-out collar (WI, USA)
- Custom under-collar Ginew® embroidery (USA)
- Custom silk-quilted lining in sleeves (USA)
- Classic Western silhouette with modern fit
- Custom Ginew® hardware (USA)
- Thunderbird chain stitch (Ft LONESOME, TEX)
- All components made in USA
- Manufactured in USA